Gamma Delta Chi History – Video Series
The following videos have been compiled to make it easier for our Brothers to learn and appreciate the history of the Fraternity. The Current Alumni Corporation President, John Turner ’04 Th’07, sat down with Jeff Newman ’82 – Alumni Corporation President from 1987-2009 – in June 0f 2013, to capture Jeff’s telling of the History of the Fraternity. Jeff had done extensive research on the origins of the Fraternity for a project he completed for a Class as an undergrad. Jeff weaves a lot of anecdotes of stories that he has gathered from Alumni over the years into his telling of the Fraternity’s history.
Gamma Delta Chi Original Founding Videos by Jeff Newman ’82
- Original Founding Part 1 (Click Here)
- Original Founding Part 2 (Click Here)
- Original Founding Part 3 (Click Here)
Gamma Delta Epsilon and Phi Nu Merger Videos by Jeff Newman ’82
- Gamma Delta Epsilon and Phi Nu Merger Part 1 (Click Here)
- Gamma Delta Epsilon and Phi Nu Merger Part 2 (Click Here)
Building of the Gamma Delta Chi House Videos by Jeff Newman ’82
- Building of the House Part 1 (Click Here)
- Building of the House Part 2 (Click Here)
- Building of the House Part 3 (Click Here)
Gamma Delta Chi: A House of Granite, Steel, and Brotherly Love (Click Here) by Jeff Newman ’82
A History of Gamma Delta Chi – from Wikipiedia
Gamma Delta Chi (“GDX”) can trace its history to two fraternities on the Dartmouth College campus, Phi Kappa Sigmaand Alpha Chi Rho. Gamma Delta Epsilon, a local fraternity, was founded in 1908, disbanded in 1912, but was reformed in 1921. In 1928, the Gamma Delta Epsilon house sought to establish itself as a chapter of a national fraternity and obtained a charter from the Phi Kappa Sigma national fraternity, becoming its Kappa Chapter. Epsilon Kappa Alpha, was established as a local fraternity on the Dartmouth campus in 1915. As with Gamma Delta Epsilon, Epsilon Kappa Alpha sought to become a chapter of a national fraternity and was granted a charter as the Phi Nu chapter of Alpha Chi Rho in 1918. The Dartmouth chapters of Alpha Chi Rho and Phi Kappa Sigma found themselves in similar financial situations in 1934. Both chapters owned prime lots near campus that lacked adequate residential structures. The two fraternities decided to share their resources and in 1935 merged to become a new local fraternity, Gamma Delta Chi.The lot formerly owned by Alpha Chi Rho was sold to the Church of Christ at Dartmouth where a new church building was constructed, and the revenue from the land sale supported the construction of a new house at Gamma Delta Chi’s current location. (The Alpha Chi Rho national fraternity would later re-establish a Phi Nu chapter at Dartmouth in 1956 as a separate fraternity from Gamma Delta Chi. This second Phi Nu chapter would dissociate from the Alpha Chi Rho national in 1963 to become a local fraternity named Alpha Chi Alpha.) In the 1960s Gamma Delta Chi was especially well known for its antique fire engine, which transported brothers and their dates to football games; and for its Sunday morning fogcutter parties, open to all who had survived the previous night’s activities.